Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cookies & Hair Gel

My cookies from Zinszer Bakery arrived on Wednesday. I bought 4 of each of the following:

  • Double chocolate peanut butter fudge
  • Sugar cookie with sprinkles
  • Snickerdoodle
  • Chocolate chip
  • White chocolate chip nut
  • Butterscotch nut

This was not a good week for my diet (something that has not gone hand in hand with me trying lots of new Indiana things). I found the cookies to be good, not great. My wife loved them. They are a thicker / puffier cookie. When a cookie isn't a chocolate chip cookie, I tend to like them to be think and moist, the Zinszer cookies are quite thick. Of the 6, my favorites were the chocolate chip and sugar cookie with sprinkles. Though they aren't my favorite consistency, the flavors were right on.

I am finally ready to share what I have come up with for hair gel. The hold is incredible, I'm still working on tweaking the application process. All you need is 3 ingredients:

  • Water
  • Gelatin - I have not yet tried the Vegan substitute, but will
  • Oil - I have used Grape Seed Oil

Start by measuring out 2 teaspoons of gelatin and warming up 1 cup of water. To warm the water I put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Combine the two and mix well. You can do this with a fork or a whisk, but I choose to do it in my blender. It combines everything better. After everything is combined put in 1 tablespoon of oil and continue blending until everything is combined. Then empty the contents into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate to let it set up.

You have now essentially made hair gel...you have also made jello. At this point you could start using the gel, but I find the application difficult. After the gel has set, I put it back in the blender and add 1 more tablespoon of hair gel and 2 tablespoons of water. I blend again.

For the gel to keep a longer time you should keep it covered in the fridge. I will remove 3 - 4 days worth at a time and keep it at room temperature. After you use it the first time, you will understand why. Before you put the gel in your hair, you need to raise its temperature. To do this you take a chunk of the gel and put it in your hands and rub until it turns to a liquid. This takes longer if the gel is cold. Once the gel has liquefied and / or just turned into very small pieces, you can run it through your hair. If you have small pieces, just work it into your hair well. It will give you a better hold than anything you buy in the store. A little bit will go a long way.

I still need to figure out how to get this into a liquid form so that the bringing it to temperature isn't as difficult, but the hold is great, and so cheap to make it yourself.

...okay, I need to add something. I just had a White Chocolate Chip Nut cookie, it was very good. It had the nice sweet taste that is expected from cookie with white chocolate chips...I kinda want another.

1 comment:

  1. David, I like the DIY hair gel, but you could also go local with your hair care products. http://www.kenra.com/

    ReplyDelete