Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 1 - Reality sets in


It took about 4 hours for the reality of this to all sink in. The day started well enough, I had a great local breakfast, used the soap and deodorant that I bought from local producers and then went to brush my teeth. STRIKE 1. Then I went to the bathroom and STRIKE 2, so then I thought I would make a list of everything non Indiana I used today. STRIKE 3 and 4 (I guess that's my first out, 26 more to go).

Toothpaste, toilet paper, a pen, and paper. These are apparently things I need to work on finding a local solution for. Of the four, maybe I'll make my own toothpaste...not sure I'm capable of producing the others.


A few hours later, I settled into my day and starting thinking about lunch. I decided to go out today, but that was no big deal, I was going to Cafe Patachou, a place famous for fresh local ingredients. I studied the menu and read the chicken and eggs were from Indiana and the bread was made in house. Sweet, well on my way, but what about the fruit? I doubt the banana In the fruit salad was grown in Indiana, what about the cheese in the omelet I like so much?


So 4 hours into my day and I have had my reality check. I am going to be a locavore and do the best I can, but I'm also going to have to be reasonable. If I go to a local restaurant known for using local ingredients I can not obsess every single item. I am going to come across things like toilet paper where there is no obvious local answer. In these situations, I'll do my best to go local or at least use an environmentally friendly (e. g. 7th generation toilet paper) alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment