Friday, July 9, 2010

Eating Indiana

I feel like this blog is like the bonus material you get on a DVD. Here is today's Indy Hub post, with some bonus coverage: http://www.indyhub.org/article.aspx?ItemID=317

As I briefly mention in the blog, my trip to the Georgetown Market was great. Similar to Whole foods, they indicate where all of their produce comes from. The big difference is they had more Indiana products! I was even able to get dried fruit from Indiana. Though the dried fruit and nuts didn't say where they were from, the very friends store employees were willing to look up the information for me!

After leaving the market, Maureen and I headed to the South Bend Chocolate Company Cafe. We had a nice ice cream snack of Bonnie Doon's (from Mishawaka) ice cream. The purpose of our visit was to pick up a few chocolate bars we could use in baking. I feel this falls into the same category as when I buy coffee from a local roaster. SBCC purchases the cacao beans and processes them up in South Bend. I've been to the factory before. Its a fun tour featuring Mr Cacao Bean!

The other fun purchase this week was at the downtown farmer's market. I purchased a luffa. Yes a luffa, like the things that Bath and Body Works sells, but the real thing. Did you know that a luffa is really a dried out gourd? http://www.luffa.info/luffapictures.htm. Now I have not used one of these in the shower, but they are great in the kitchen. They are my item of choice when cleaning out my All Clad pans. Just drop in some Bar Keepers Friend (an Indiana company) or TraceyClean scouring powder and you are good to go. When you are done you can just throw your luffa into the compost pile!

My experiments have also gone very well with the hair gel. I've mad 7 different variations on my recipe...I'm getting close to being ready to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment