Tuesday, July 6, 2010

KIB Post, plus bonus coverage

Here is a link to my Tuesday post @ KIB. http://www.kibi.org/blog/finding-indiana-corn

This post will make a bit more sense if you read that first. As I was finishing writing the post I was flipping through my Green Piece Indy savings book (like an entertainment book or zoo book, but with a green theme) and came across crackers from a company called Foods Alive! It said they were at Good Earth, Whole Foods, and the Georgetown Market. Since I was just at Good Earth yesterday, I thought I would try Whole Foods, it is close to where I work. Sadly, they didn't have them, but while I was there I made a different discovery.

As I walked through Good Earth's produce area, I noticed every fruit and vegetable said where they were from. Though I only found watercress and basil from Indiana, I was very excited to have that knowledge readily available. If I ever wanted to concentrate my produce on items made in the USA it would be very easy to identify at Whole Foods. They also carry Traders Point Creamery products, which is great. I always like seeing local brands available at a chain. It was an interesting comparison to Marsh, where they had signage promoting their local food, but I only found 3 items in the produce section that were local, and 2 came from Ohio. I am always surprised that the local grocery chains don't carry Indiana corn.

After leaving Whole Foods with my watercress I called the Georgetown Market and they do carry the crackers. Living on the North East side I don't make it over to where the Georgetown Market is very frequently, but I now have reason for a special trip! Tomorrow I am going to try and make the City Market Farmer's Market and potentially Sunking. I also can't believe I haven't been to Goose yet this month, but there is plenty of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment